Back to Projects List
Training system for US-guided lung interventions
- Natalia Arteaga Marrero (IACTEC, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain)
- David García Mato (Ebatinca S.L., Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain)
- Javier González Fernández (ITC, Spain)
- Gara Ramos (IACTEC, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain)
The aim of the project is to develop a training system that provides a quantitative report regarding the use of a low-cost lung phantom  in ultrasound-guided interventions, particularly for core needle biopsy (CNB).
A phantom with several embedded solid inclusions was fabricated. These inclusions are colour coded thus, a qualitative report can be used to indicate the success
of a CNB procedure. However, a quantitative analysis is required. For this reason, the development of a training system is planned.
- Objective A. Fabrication of dedicated phantom
- Objective B. Setting up the system’s tools
- Objective C. Application development
Approach and Plan
- Phantom model –> Accurately replicated thoracic tissues (lung, ribs, and solid masses) providing a useful tool for training ultrasound-guided procedures
- Tools connections via Optitrack and Plus Toolkit (Telemed and Clarius US System, needle for biopsy)
- Application development
Progress and Next Steps
- Fabrication of dedicated phantom –> In progress to establish the virtual model
- Design of tracking fixtures for equipment –> In progress
- Optitrack + US System setup –> Connection to SLICER
Background and References
 Arteaga-Marrero, N.; Villa, E.; Llanos González, A.B.; Gómez Gil, M.E.; Fernández, O.A.; Ruiz-Alzola, J.; González-Fernández, J.
Low-Cost Pseudo-Anthropomorphic PVA-C and Cellulose Lung Phantom for Ultrasound-Guided Interventions. Gels 2023, 9, 74. https://doi.org/10.3390/gels9020074