Back to Projects List
SlicerVR: interactive UI panel in the VR environment
- Csaba Pinter (Ebatinca, Pixel Medical)
A key infrastructural element that is still missing from SlicerVR is the ability to show and interact with arbitrary Qt widgets in the VR scene. Up until recently, a blocking issue was an incomplete implementation of the vtkQWidgetWidget class in the VTK version that Slicer was using. Now that Slicer is being migrated to VTK9, this issue can hopefully be fixed and the implementation of this in-VR widget continued. With this improvement, arbitrary UI elements of Slicer can be used from within VR, thus basically exposing the entire Slicer functionality within the VR environment.
- Build SlicerVR against VTK9
- Add interactive Qt panel to VR scene SlicerVR#43
- Make use of the in-VR widget via laser pointer and VR-optimized widgets
Approach and Plan
- Update SlicerVR CMake files to build with VTK9
- Try vtkQWidgetWidget in SlicerVR, confirm that it now works
- Explore existing possibilities for using a laser pointer emanating from the controllers to control the Qt-based widget (press, click, drag&drop, etc)
- Add the already implemented but dormant VR-optimized widgets in the SlicerVR user interface
Progress and Next Steps
- Describe specific steps you have actually done.
Background and References