Back to Projects List
- Hans Meine (Fraunhofer MEVIS)
- Peter Oppermann (Fraunhofer MEVIS)
- Andrey Fedorov (BWH)
- Tobias Stein (DKFZ)
- Jasmin Metzger (DKFZ)
- Marco Nolden (DKFZ)
- Markus Herrmann (MGH & BWH CCDS)
Our goal is to investigate and understand (the possibility of?) lossless, automatic,
“roundtrip” conversion between DICOM Structured Reporting and FHIR representations
for communicating imaging-derived measurements.
- Understand and discuss capabilities of the two representations.
- Understand possibility, limitations, support in tools for lossless interoperability
between DICOM SR TID1500 instances and FHIR documents.
Approach and Plan
- Put together pointers to relevant documentation, samples, tutorials to help get started
a novice in the topic.
- Define specific examples of varying complexity.
- Create hand-coded or automatically generated representations of the same content
using the two approaches.
Should we also consider TID2000 Basic Diagnostic Imaging Report?
Progress and Next Steps
- Investigated, discussed, learned a lot, concluded that roundtrip
conversion is not a good goal: DICOM should stay the primary
storage of all details, FHIR should serve only as a medium for
storing the most important results (with references to the
underlying DICOM objects), in order to make them available together
with other EHR data!
- Put up code at https://github.com/hmeine/tid1500-fhir
- Prepared Typescript-based expected FHIR results (autocompletion!) + conversion scripts to JSON
- Created a script that uses dsr2xml (from dcmtk), parses the resulting XML, and creates FHIR resources
- Created a second script uploads the result to a FHIR server (first checking for existing duplicates)
Background and References
Relevant FHIR resources for the diagnostic report and reported observations:
Other FHIR-related pointers: